Are you crafty? Do you have things you have personally made and would like to sell them? If you answered yes to both of those questions, then you're in luck. There are two outstanding companies that you can sell your things on and make a profit. Amazon Handmade and Etsy are two of the most popular websites when it comes to selling their items. Since both of them are the best, how do you decide on a company to sell your precious items on? You will learn a little bit about both companies throughout this guide so you can make an informed decision on which one has your business.
Let's dive right in.
- Amazon handmade vs Etsy
- What is Amazon Handmade?
- What is Etsy?
- What Kinds of Products Does Amazon Handmade Sell?
- What Kinds of Products Does Etsy Sell?
- How to Signup on Amazon Handmade?
- How to Signup on Etsy
- Amazon Handmade vs Etsy: The Pros
- Amazon Handmade vs Etsy: The Cons
- Amazon Handmade vs Etsy: The Bottom Line
- Concluding Thoughts
amazon handmade vs Etsy
When it comes to handmade products, there are two e-commerce giants that come to mind: Amazon Handmade and Etsy. Both platforms offer a unique marketplace for artists and artisans to sell their wares, and both have a loyal following of shoppers. But which one is the better option?
To help you decide, let's take a closer look at Amazon Handmade vs Etsy.
What is Amazon Handmade?
You may have things to sell but you don't have a clue what Amazon Handmade is. It's an online store that you can access from Amazon's website to sell some of your things. This company was born with a crafty person in mind. Before we get to the products, you will learn some advantages and disadvantages of this company to understand a little more about it before you start signing up for an account.
The Advantages of the Amazon Handmade Process
- There's no fee. When you list things for sale on Amazon Handmade you don't have to pay a fee for each item you post.
- Your listings don't expire. Here's some more good news. Whatever you post will be there forever until someone purchases them.
- Access to Amazon's customers. When listing something on Amazon Handmade, you already have customers that will look at your things. Amazon's customers will look through and see what they might need for their homes.
The Disadvantages of the Amazon Handmade Process
- You have to apply. If you're interested in selling your crafty items through Amazon Handmade, you have to apply first. You're not able to post anything up for sale until it is approved.
- You are required to pay a fee. When you're filling out your application, you will see a spot to fill out your payment information. Yes, that's right. You do have to pay a fee of around 40 dollars to submit your application. The good news is once your application is approved, you will get your money back.
- Not too many people know about it. Even though you can get to Amazon Handmade through Amazon, not too many people know about that section of Amazon. People will have to search for it under the drop-down on Amazon before they will see it.
What is Etsy?
Now that you understand a little bit about Amazon Handmade, we'll move on to Etsy. Etsy is very similar to Amazon Handmade. You can post things you're selling on Etsy and make a profit. Below you'll find out about the advantages and disadvantages of the process and you will come closer to making your decision on which one to choose.
The Advantages of the Etsy Process
- Etsy attracts a different amount of people. People go on Etsy when they want to purchase something that they can personalize, and they can find things that are not sold in stores because they're coming from you.
- You can post things for people to download. If you have stationary you want to sell, then you can charge people a small fee for them to download. This process works with anything paper-related that you want to sell for people to download.
- It's an easy process. When you sell on Etsy, it's easy to do. You can have your things up for sale in a matter of minutes. All you have to do is create an account and start posting your things.
- List things privately. You have the option to list things privately on Etsy. A customer may purchase a lot of things from you or you may know another seller that also sells things on their Etsy account. You can send the listing to that person privately. Only they will be able to see it, and they will have the first chance to purchase it.
- Automatic renewal. Another great thing about Etsy is that Etsy will automatically renew the projects that you have listed. If it's been a few months and you still haven't sold them, Etsy will renew your handmade items so you won't forget about the renewal date.
The Disadvantages of the Etsy Process
- Etsy charges you. For every item you post, Etsy will charge you a fee of 20 cents before it is listed for sale. If you are selling things by the unit, Etsy will charge you around 20 cents per unit.
- Your items will expire. Remember that anything you post for sale, will not be available forever. Etsy will take it off of their website unless you select the auto-renew feature. The automatically renew feature will get your listing back on the website. That's one of the advantages you will find out above.
What Kinds of Products Does Amazon Handmade Sell?
To determine whether or not you have products to sell on Amazon Handmade or Etsy, you should become familiar with the products you are allowed to sell. On Amazon Handmade, you can only sell handmade things. For example, toys or games that are made with wood or dishes that are built with your two hands. Selling things on Amazon Handmade does have its advantages and disadvantages.
The Advantages of Selling Products on Amazon Handmade
- It's easy to add personalized products on Amazon Handmade. When posting your personalized products, you can create a customized text option. This way other people will be able to enter what they want on the product. With these fields, it makes it easier for you to know exactly what your customer wants.
The Disadvantages to Selling Products on Amazon Handmade
- There's a higher market. Since there are thousands and thousands of people that shop on Amazon every day, it can be hard to get your projects noticed. Everyone that sells on Amazon Handmade competes with you because there may be several people posting the same type of item you are selling.
- You can only sell certain items. Amazon Handmade only allows you to put things up for sale that are made from wood or more of a designer type. You can't sell E-books or downloadable things. Products that you list for sale should be packaged to send to the customer.
What Kinds of Products Does Etsy Sell?
In this section, you will learn about the advantages and disadvantages of selling on Etsy. The information you will find below will get you one step closer to choosing the platform you feel more comfortable selling on.
The Advantages of Selling Products on Etsy
- You can sell anything you want. Aside from Amazon Handmade, you can sell anything and everything you want. You can even post some samples of your work for free if you want. If you do that, be sure to add a watermark to your picture so no one will take your design.
- Millions of customers purchase things from Etsy every day so you are guaranteed that your work will be noticed. Be sure to have a generous price for your products because people like to make price comparisons. It's best to make sure you're pricing things that are not too expensive but not too cheap.
The Disadvantages to Selling Products on Etsy
- Etsy takes over your online store. Unfortunately, you don't have control over your store and what happens to your items. Etsy has the right to revoke a certain item if it doesn't meet its rules or regulations. They don't have to give you a warning. They may even go back and forth with the customer to answer their questions about your products.
- You have to come up with the right SEO words. As you're posting a product, you will get to choose tag words. These tag words will help a customer go straight to your item. It can be difficult when several other items have the same SEO word. It makes things hard because potential customers will have trouble finding your product.
- Pricing is competitive. Other sellers are always trying to outprice one another.
How to Signup on Amazon Handmade?
Does this information sound good so far? You may be curious about how you can signup to start posting things for sale. We'll go through the advantages and disadvantages of the signup process, and then we'll move along to the Etsy category.
The Advantages of the Signup Process on Amazon Handmade
- Becoming successful at owning your products in your online shop. As you go through the signup process, you will notice that you will see different pricing options. When you select the professional plan, you will become aware of the number of tools and support needed to help you throughout your business venture.
- Build a profile. Once your application has been approved, you can create a profile letting potential customers know a little bit about yourself and the kinds of items you selling. If they know your back story, they will be more likely to purchase something from you.
The Disadvantages of the Signup Process on Amazon Handmade
- Amazon has a long approval process. When you start listing things for sale, potential customers don't get to see them right away because it takes a while before your application gets approved. It could take up to two weeks or longer.
- There's no guarantee your application will be approved. You could be spending a while waiting for your application to be approved and you find out that it was rejected. It could be rejected for a few reasons. For example, it will be rejected if your application does not follow their rules and regulations meaning adding fake information.
How to Signup on Etsy
Now it's time to learn how the signup process works on Etsy. As you're reviewing the information, think about a few questions. Is it easier than Amazon Handmade? Can you start posting things right away? Is the signup process lengthy? We'll cover the advantages and disadvantages of the signup process on Etsy and you will uncover if it will be worth it signing up.
The Advantages of the Signup Process on Etsy
- You are provided with tools to start listing immediately. All new users will receive a guide that will walk you through owning your shop on Etsy.
- The signup process is easy. It's easy to sign up, and it's free. You will have to register for a new account and follow the instructions when prompted to do so.
The Disadvantages of the Signup Process on Etsy
- There are a few fees. While it is free to register for an account, there are a few fees you must pay to start listing your products for sale. A couple of those fees include a listing fee and a transaction fee. As mentioned earlier, you will need to pay 20 cents to list your products. When a buyer buys your products, Etsy will receive 5 percent of your profit.
- Your business could become saturated. Nowadays more and more people are turning their hobbies into things they can sell and using Etsy as a place to have their online store. When there are too many people selling things similar to what you made, it makes it harder for you to have a slight edge.
Amazon Handmade vs Etsy: The Pros
Now that we've taken a look at what each platform is, let's compare the pros of Amazon Handmade vs Etsy.
+ Amazon Handmade Pros
- Amazon is a household name. This means that there is already a built-in customer base of people who are familiar with the Amazon brand and trust it.
- Amazon is a one-stop shop. Customers who are looking for handmade products on Amazon can also buy items like books, electronics, and groceries. This convenience is a major selling point for Amazon.
- Amazon offers Prime shipping. This benefit is a huge advantage for Amazon Handmade sellers because it means that their products can be shipped for free to Prime members, who are also more likely to be Amazon customers.
- Amazon Handmade has lower fees. Etsy charges a listing fee of $0.20 per item, as well as a 3.5% transaction fee and a payment processing fee of 2.9% + $0.30. Amazon Handmade, on the other hand, only charges a 12% referral fee.
+ Etsy Pros
- Etsy has a more intimate feel. Because it is a smaller platform, Etsy has a more tight-knit community of sellers and buyers.
- Etsy attracts a certain type of shopper. People who shop on Etsy are specifically looking for handmade, vintage, or unique items. This makes it easier to target your audience on Etsy than on Amazon.
- Etsy offers more tools for sellers. For example, Etsy has a built-in blog feature and allows sellers to create coupon codes and sales.
- Etsy is more lenient with its rules. Etsy has less strict guidelines than Amazon Handmade, which means that there is a wider range of products that can be sold on the platform.
Amazon Handmade vs Etsy: The Cons
Of course, no platform is perfect, and there are also some cons to consider for Amazon Handmade vs Etsy.
- Amazon Handmade Cons
- Amazon is a competitive marketplace. Because anyone can sell on Amazon, the platform is very competitive. This can make it difficult for handmade sellers to get their products noticed.
- Amazon has strict requirements. In order to sell on Amazon Handmade, sellers must meet certain requirements, such as only selling handmade products.
- Amazon can be impersonal. Because it is such a large platform, Amazon can feel impersonal and overwhelming. This can be a turn-off for some shoppers.
- Etsy Cons
- Etsy can be challenging to stand out. Because Etsy is full of handmade sellers, it can be difficult to make your products stand out from the crowd.
- Etsy attracts a certain type of shopper. While this can be seen as a pro, it can also be a con because it means that you may have to work harder to attract buyers who are not specifically looking for handmade products.
- Etsy fees can add up. Etsy charges listing fees, transaction fees, and payment processing fees, which can add up, especially for small sellers.
- Etsy is not a one-stop shop. Because Etsy specializes in handmade, vintage, and unique items, shoppers who are looking for other types of products will not find what they are looking for on the platform.
Amazon Handmade vs Etsy: The Bottom Line
So, which platform is the better option: Amazon Handmade vs Etsy? The answer depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a platform that is convenient and offers a wide range of products, Amazon Handmade is a good option. However, if you are looking for a more intimate community and easier platform to use, Etsy may be a better choice.
Now that you have fully understood what it takes to sell things on Amazon Handmade vs. Etsy, the real question enters your brain. Is it better to sell on Etsy or Amazon? Only you can answer this question. It depends on what you're selling to decide which one you should go with. You may want to sell your things on both platforms to gain extra revenue. You could sell your crafted, wooden items on Amazon Handmade and downloadable ideas on Etsy.
Try these free tools by Topbubbleindex
If you're looking to get started with print-on-demand, Topbubbleindex is the perfect place to begin. We offer all the digital marketing tools you need to be successful, and we're committed to keeping them free forever. Below, you'll find a few of the free tools we offer to help you get ahead of the competition and make sales easily.
- Redbubble Keyword Research
- Redbubble Tag Generator
- Redbubble Trends Finder
- Etsy Keyword Research
- Etsy Tag Generator
- Etsy Trends Finder
- Design Editor
- Image Background Remover
- Image Portrait Generator
- Calendar Holidays
And still counting! If you're still not impressed, try the Topbubbleindex tools for free. Don't hesitate to contact us for suggestions, complaints, or just feedback. We are always working on to keep the Topbubbleindex better.